Tuesday 26 July 2016

Review: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Poison Study (Study, #1)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I shouldn't like this book. I really shouldn't, it feels more like a guilty pleasure than anything. Don't get the wrong idea though, the romance is very backseat in comparison to a lot of YA novels that hit it off 1/3 of the way through (le sigh). This book, however, does us the favor of just not bothering us with cringe worthy romance until appropriate (thank you maria).

I'm glad that the setting isn't in some dystopian, totalitarian monarchy-esque world. The military ruler really isn't so bad. He's given equal rights to everyone, including women. He's lowered the poverty rate, and given EVERYONE a job. So, this novel isn't about "overthrowing the evil ruler". It shows what is happening post-" overthrowing the evil ruler".

Okay, Yelena is pretty likeable. I feel sorry for her, and yes, she is a cliché heroine. BUT, she is endearing. Nothing much else to say there. Valek (sorry if I get names wrong I listened to the audio book) is kind of a cliché love interest, except he's 33, and he has a bit more depth to him once you look past those clichés, and no, HE IS NOT DARK AND BROODING (thank god). I mean he is dark, but he doesn't brood. He's actually pretty cheerful most of the time.

I have nothing else to say, except that I will be reading the rest of the series.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment