Friday 14 October 2016

Review: Belly of the Beast by Ashe Vernon

Belly of the Beast
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first poetry book I've ever read.

And, it was AMAZIINGGG! Usually, I'm not really into poetry. But, the poems in this book were deep, yet still provided very clear imagery to follow along with the context of the poems.


The title Belly of the Beast refers to when a person is in the thick of a bad situation. All the poems in this book are dark and gritty, all of them referring to the unhealthy obsessive aspects of human love, sex, and relationships. I don't have the book with me anymore but I remember the very first or second poem was about prostitution and the narrator of the poem expressed her love for being a prostitute.

The second half of the book has very strong feminist undertones, which is great, because they do the job of bringing to light a lot of the hidden sexism in our everyday society, and not just from a female perspective either.

It was a quick read I finished it in a day. Oh, and the only reason I gave it a four stars is because a lot of the poems are a bit repetitive, but other than that they were still immensely enjoyable.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment